In our journey of faith, it is important that we overcome carnality that we may be more in tune with our spiritual side.
Understand that you are more of a spiritual being than a physical being. To be able to hear God clearly we need to be spiritual. God is spirit and anyone that worships Him must worship in spirit and in truth (John 4:24).
Carnality and spirituality cannot coexist, for the carnal mind is enmity against God and cannot please God Rom 8:7.
A type of carnality versus spirituality is Ishmael and Isaac in Genesis 21:10 Ishmael having been conceived out of Abraham’s carnality and Isaac, the promised child a type of spirituality.
When the spiritual was born the bond woman and her son (Ishmael) were cast out (Gal 4:30). They could not coexist.
Another example, which also is a type is displayed in the twin pregnancy of Rebekah in Gen 25:23 Two nations were at war in her womb. Esau (who later sold his birth right) representing carnality and Jacob representing spirituality.
It is a fact that God hates carnality. ‘Jacob (spirituality) I love, Esau (carnality) I hate ‘.( Malachi 1:3, Rom 9:13).
Our response of faith (what we should know and do).
1. Know that carnality is a killer. It kills your spiritual side which is where God communes with you.
To be carnally minded is death and to be spiritually minded is life and peace.
2. We must remember that our old self was crucified with Him in order that our body of sin is rendered inactive (Rom 6:6) hence we have victory over sin and carnality.
3. On the basis of what Jesus did for us. We apply the cross. We must crucify the flesh with all its passions and desires (Gal 5:24). This is not free from pain but it is the best thing. (1 peter 4:1-2)
This is the distinguishing mark of those who belong to Jesus.
Apply the cross. Nail carnality to the cross.
4. Deny yourself, take up the cross. Jesus said ‘not my will but yours be done’. The flesh feeds on things that facilitate carnality. The cross is a place where you die. You die to what your flesh really wants to do and choose to obey God. Jesus said ‘If anyone would come after me let him deny himself take up his cross and follow me’. (Mat 16:24).
The cross is Instrument of execution and the way of deliverance.
Phil 4:13- I can do all things through Christ the one who empowers me within.
5. Be real with God and let Him know that you cannot handle the situation. You need Him. It is not by trusting yourself, yield to Jesus. You exercise your will when you choose to let him empower you from within. Every time you have a need, will the right thing.
Heb12:10- not our own holiness we become partakers of God’s holiness through Jesus, the holy one who dwells in us.
6. Allow Jesus to take control of your challenge and the situation. (1 cor 1:30).
If you have been blessed by this blog, please add on or comment to bless others by clicking reply now.
God bless you.