Corruption and violence have infiltrated the good world that was created by God. This has not just started, it has always been. Right from the fall of man till now, the world has become more and more corrupt. Thus making it more difficult for a righteous man to live, work and remain righteous in a corrupt world.
Let’s face it, it’s not getting better and will not get better. The love of many have waxed cold because iniquity abounds -( Matt 24:12).
The good news is: God has and will always reserve a remnant for Himself. A remnant who despite all the happenings around would stand tall and refuse to compromise their faith. Even so then, at this present time there is a remnant according to the election of grace – Rom 11:5.
In 2 Peter 2:6-9 the bible talks about how righteous Lot was oppressed by the filthy conduct of the wicked in the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah. His righteous soul was tormented from day to day by seeing and hearing their lawless deeds.
What Lot saw and heard tormented his righteous soul. Many believers can identify with this in this day and age. How much of what we see on billboards, television, hear on news and around us torments our righteous souls?
But the day of The Lord will come as a thief in the night both the earth and all that are in it will be burned up- (2 Pet 3:10-11).
Therefore since all these things will be dissolved, what manner of persons ought we to be in holy conduct and godliness?
1. Let’s first deal with the issue of seeing and hearing that tormented Lot’s soul and still torments the righteous today.
The lawless deeds around torments the righteous soul making it almost impossible to believe God. The solution to this is constant and continuos hearing of the word of God. For faith comes by hearing and hearing the word of God ( Rom 10:17).
2. Godly counsel- Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the ungodly…( Ps 1:1). Be in the company of Godly people with Godly counsels.
How to identify Godly counsel: Does the counsel reinforce God’s word and align itself with the clear and complete teachings of the bible? Does it strengthen your faith and give you an honourable purpose in life? Does it turn you from wrongdoing, promoting righteousness and purity in your life?
3. Do not stand or sit in the path of sinners – Ps 1:1- This does not suggest eliminating ourselves completely from this world or not reaching out to unbelievers for the purpose of soul winning. It suggests a progression of influence that results from walking in the counsel of the ungodly. The walk-stand-sit progression suggests gradual integration into the company of the unjust. As believers we need to guard against this.
4. Habitually meditate on the word of God ( Ps1:2).
5. Pray without ceasing, thank God without ceasing- Do this regularly and it becomes a habit (1 Thes. 2:11).
There are many more points, but I have left the space for you ( the reader) to add on from your experience. Please click reply at the end of this blog to suggest ways to maintain a Godly atmosphere in a corrupt world. Your Godly counsel will bless others.
God bless you.